Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chapter 44 Second Born

  It is not fair.
  I am the only member of the royal family not sitting in the front row.
  Of course there is only room for 3 in each pew...  But it is still unfair.  Just because Princess Ann was born first!
  "And he spake unto the Lord, 'Am I my brother's keeper?'"
  Well listen to that!  Brother Michael understands.  Of course Princess Ann is my sister, not my brother, and it is not keeping her that I'm concerned with exactly...  Perhaps he would be so bold as to explain, to preach to his King about little sisters sitting in the front pew.  He is Brother Michael Goodman.  And how many times has mother said it is because he is a good man?  But I am not to speak in church...  Oh!  I know!
  "Dear Princess, of course you may be excused."
  That is not what I was going to ask.  'Little girls ought not to speak in chapel.'  So it would be naughty to tell the good brother otherwise.  No, not naughty, sinful.
  Jean left with all the grace and poise of the little princess she is.  As she did so she noticed one of the new servants in the confessional.
  To think I was disappointed by my seating in chapel.  Imagine sitting in the confessional the whole service!  Poor man.  He looks weary too.  What a good little princess I am.  Such charitable thoughts on the sabbath!  I should pray for him.
  And so she did.  As Princess Jean walked, she prayed:

   Dear Lord on High, please bless the servant man who endured chapel in the confessional as all the pews were full.  Forgive me for thinking bad thoughts about not sitting in the front pew with my mother and father the King and Queen of Rosewood, even though it is not fair that Princess Ann was born first and always gets to sit there instead of me.  Amen.

  Now that I have been a good little princess, I shall do as I wish.
  Right now, I wish to fix this.  But how?
  "Is this the urgent matter more important than chapel?" a gruff voice demanded.
  Princess Jean set down her paints with trembling hands.
  "And of course if you are painting you must be done with your studies."
  "N-no Father, my King."
  "Is it true that you have neglected your studies for quite some time?"
  "Yes my King."
  "Why would you neglect your studies?" King Leon boomed.  "You are a princess!"
  "Would you help me Father?"
  King Leon's face softened.
  "No dear.  I do have someone who will."
  "Yes Father."
  "Come.  You will begin immediately."
  "On the sabbath?"
  "Surely it is no worse than painting for pleasure on the sabbath day Princess."
  King Leon said it kindly, but Princess Jean reddened just the same.  Meekly she followed her father.  As he passed a servant he motioned the man to follow.
  Oh good!  Surely that servant will be fetching mother and I a meal.  It will be so pleasant, eating with mother while we work.
  The 3 walked into Princess Jean's room.  Princess Jean could see that her schoolwork had been brought up.  One less thing for this servant to go fetch.
  "Lord Henry you will tutor my daughter today."
  "Lord Henry?  I thought mother would do it."
  "Not today."
  "But my King, she always helps me when you won- wish not to."
  "Princess Jean, when I say Lord Henry will tutor you, you will be tutored by Lord Henry."
  "But he is only noble.  I am a princess.  Royals know more."
  "Only if they are taught.  You will learn your lessons from Lord Henry or you will learn a lesson from me."
  Lord give me strength, Lord Henry prayed silently.
  "How may I be of service Your Majesty?"
  "Now that our King is gone, you may have the rest of the afternoon off," Princess Jean said with authority.
  "Neither you nor I want to learn the lesson at the end of that Princess."
  Why did I have to get stuck with the princess?
  Is she blinking back tears?  Do princesses do that?  They don't cry do they?
  "Is everything all right Your Majesty?"
  "No!  Everything is not all right.  I was going to paint today.  Instead I am stuck here with you."
  "Open your tablet.  Now."
   "The quill Princess?"
  "Lord Henry?"
  "Yes Princess?"
  "I do not know what to write."
  "What were you asked to write?"
  "'Write about your station.  Then write about what it would be like to be in a different station.'"
  "What have you written thus far?"
  "All about being a princess.  How am I to write about being a commoner?"
  "Put yourself in a commoner's shoes.  It is like a game of pretend."
   Lord Henry spelled endless words for the little princess.  And did she thank him after so many hours?
   No.  At least she did not ask him to blow upon her ink.  Not that he would have.  It always runs that way.  Why is that hers is not running?
  "Princess, why did your ink not run or smear when you blew upon it?"
  "A princess uses a gentle whisper of a wind."
  Oh.
  "Do you need more help Your Highness?"
  "No.  I wrote about what it would be like to be a commoner.  I feel a little different now....after thinking more on what his life might be."
  "That was the whole purpose" but Lord Henry never finished the sentence.  Princess Jean had run off already.
  Thank you God that I am not a first born nobleman.  I need never marry a princess.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment