Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Chapter 81 A Season of Change

  Laird Robert Morse had undergone many changes in his little life.  First he had gone from pollen to seed to a full bloomed boy in his mother's arms.  Then his little family had moved to a new home.  The most dramatic change had been the day his mother gave him a potion to drink.  He had sat upon the ground in distress as his leaves and bark fell away.

  Then his mother had brought him somewhere he had rarely gone - inside.
  Older now Laird Robert lay snug abed next to his brother Alisdair.
  In this quiet moment, his brother by his side, his mother soaking in the tub downstairs, another change walked into his life.
  Laird Allan Morse quietly approached his new home.  He had gone to his old home, finding it empty with a little note upon it.  He stood before the new home staring.
  Inside his wife did dwell, and hopefully their child.  His eyes slid to the meager garden.
  My poor wife!  Why did I fall apart when she needed me the most?  And look what she hath lost, her husband for years, her home, her gardens.  A child should not come at such a price.  And what of the child? Did our babe live?  Was he taken screaming from her arms?
  I am home now.  Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my family.  It is so good to be home.  Now as much as Margaret loves my hair I wish to shake it off tonight.
  Oh how I love the fresh air in my leaves.  I feel...I feel..
  A slight breeze came and something from the top of his head mixed with it.  Laird Allan closed his eyes for only a moment.  When he opened them a little seedling sat upon the ground before him.  Ever so gently he picked it up.
  "Grisella."
  A giggle escaped his little sprout.
  "Oh, so you like that my little maid?  Your mother will love you as I already do."
  Allan felt the urge to try that again.  He set Grisella down.
  He felt like he was...glowing.  Not like a lightening bug....  This must be how a woman feels before birthing her babe.
  Another seedling soon formed before him.  He knelt down and kissed her wee face.
  "You my child I name Maid Martha.  Now where did your sister toddle off to?"
  After a little running about Laird Allan had his 2 girls gathered in his arms.  Somehow he managed to get inside without setting either down.
  "Margaret?"
  He heard the splash of water as his wife rose from a tub of water.  He followed the sound.
  "I'm home, and I brought you a pair of maids."
  Dewdrops slid down her face.
  Laird Allan set down his girls and took his wife into his arms.  His little girls stared up at the love displayed before them.
  "Oh Allan, look at our little girls."  For she need know explanation.  She knew from her own experience where these girls came from.
  "Just like their mother," he replied, his arms still around her.
  "Oh Allan.  Just wait until you see the pair we have sleeping upstairs."

No comments:

Post a Comment