Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chapter 71 Worthy

  Francis cringed inwardly.
  He sat a helpless witness of his father's scolding.
  At last the king left him be.
  "Papa...Mama's here to see back to Sir Samuel's."
  Squire Geoffrey's expression changed.
  "Don't let this color your opinion of the king."
  Too late.
  "He and the Roberts are...not exactly friends.  I'm afraid he takes it out upon me."
  Well, perhaps there is something to that.  It hadn't been nearly so bad when I was working here.
  "It's just a little service to the king during the day, no matter.  Did you need something Francis?"
  No papa, I'm hoping to court the fair Princess Jean today.
  "Papa, it's been a long day for you."
  "Nonsense.  You came all this way.  Walk with us my son."
  Damn.
  "Francis," his mama whispered.  "The princess is in the other room.  I think she is waiting for you."
  "For Francis?"
  "Shh Geoffrey.  Best see what she wants Francis.  Come along Geoffrey."
  Francis stood there stunned at his good luck.
  "Go on then.  Never leave a lady waiting."
  As Francis scooted away he heard his papa saying, "Ye shouldn't have said anything.  We could have spared him a scolding."
  Francis hurried to his princess.
  "What is so funny Francis?"
  "Papa thinks you mean to scold me."
  "I should, you've been away so long."
  "Without a dedication to my studies I can never hope to be worthy of you.  Even then...."
  "Even then?"
  "Sweet princess, do you not deserve a man of your caliber?  One who can offer you riches beyond measure?"
  "Oh Francis," she said softly, "what riches could measure up to your heart?"
  "If I did not stand in your way, your heart might open up to another."
  "Francis, please, do not speak like that.  I can not bear the thought of a life without you."
  And what can a man say to such words?  Francis said nothing at all.  Instead he reached for her tiny little waist.
  He held his princess as close as he dared, accepting the gentle cheek she lay upon her shoulder.  She sighed ever so softly.  Francis closed his eyes, completely lost in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment