Friday, November 16, 2012

Chapter 57 Princess Jean Finds Out

  Princess Jean met Francis for sweets before he went back to college.  He had come to making frequent trips to Rosewood.  She liked to think he came for her, but it was just as likely to see his parents.

  "How are your parents Francis?"
  "I think they work too hard in their old age."
  "So they will cease then?"
  "No.  They love to work.  Especially now that papa is Squire."
  Happy to work?  It is true then.  The king's subjects do love to serve him.
  "Your table is ready Your Highness."
  The couple settled at a table.
  "What would you like today Princess?"
  Princess Jean smiled.  Everyone addressed her as Princess, but it was special when Francis said it.
  "A tart."
  "With nectarines?"
  "Yes Francis."
  "As she wishes.  I will have a slice of cake."
  Jean giggled.
  After the waitress left Francis asked, "What amuses you Princess?"
  "You always order the cake."
  "I like the cake."
  The waitress returned with their sweets.
  Princess Jean raised her goblet.
  "To cake and tarts."
  "To the lovely Princess before me," Francis said formally.
  Princess Jean took a delicate sip then set down the goblet.
  "Francis, Lady Morse has asked me to attend her birthing."
  Princess Jean was mortified.  She said that to a man - to Francis, and in public too.  She was so ashamed.
  But Francis turned gentle eyes upon her.
  "Princess," he said softly, "if you do not wish to go-"
  "I do," she blurted.  For in the moment she forgot that a princess does not blurt.
  "You look as if you do not."
  "Well....I do not know what to expect...but I wish to know...for when..."
  "I understand."
  "You do?"
  "As much as a man can," he paused.  "Princess, are you certain you wish to go?  The midwives daughters used to visit at our home and they said-"
  "Daughters?  Visiting at your home?  Are you?  Are you?"  she stammered.
  "Oh Princess.  You need not be jealous of dead maids."
  Princess Jean stuffed the last tart in her mouth.  For in that moment she forgot that Princesses do not stuff food in their mouths.
  "You did not know?"
  Princess Jean shook her head, her mouth still full.
  "They both died before coming of age."
  She swallowed.  Without a word she placed coin on the table and left.  Francis quickly followed.
  Once outside Francis said, "Princess, 'tis I who should pay."
  Princess Jean walked quicker.
  "Princess?  Please, I wish to walk you home.  I could not bear it if something were to happen to you.  What if vikings invaded?"
  Princess Jean did not stop, but she slowed to a more comfortable pace.
  "Francis...I saw that look."
  "What look?"
  "When you spoke of the midwife's maids."
  "Princess..." he hesitated.  Then he seemed to come to some resolve.  "One of them, I wished to kiss her.  I had no deep feelings for her...but they likely would have grown if.."
  "You-you kissed her?"  Princess Jean thought she might cry.  Francis had never kissed her.
  "No.  I tried and she rejected me.  I was crushed.  I never spoke to the girl again.  I hadn't sought out a girl since."
  Princess Jean was shaken.
  "I sought you out.  Perhaps you wish I had left you in peace."
  "Princess!  No.  I am greatly blessed that you did."
  "But you would rather be with that dead maid."
  "No.  I never had deep feelings for her, not like I have for you."
  He stopped walking.  Princess Jean had not even realized they had arrived at the castle.
  "Then have you told your parents of your affections for me?"
  "As I have said I will not tell friend or family until you have told your Father."  Francis must have seen the worried look upon her face.  "Do not fret.  You take all the time you need.  Think if he were to hear of us from someone else?"  Jean shuddered.  "That is why I do not speak of you."
  "And what of the kiss?  You tried to kiss her, but you have never...have never..."
  "Princess, things ended with that girl before they had begun, all because of a kiss that never happened.  I could not bear it if that should happen with you who mean far more to me than she ever did."
  "I would not despise you for it Francis."
  "You wouldn't?" he asked boyishly.
  "No."
  With that Francis put his arms around her.  First he pulled her close.  Then he leaned her back.  Jean took one last look at him before closing her eyes.
  He held her firm and gentle, leaned over her, and kissed her upon the forehead.

3 comments:

  1. On the forehead, lol
    I so like your writings, Chicklet! Wish more people would comment on your story.
    It would also make a nice book. Ever considered this as an option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comment and clapped my hands with glee. No really...I did!

    I would love to have a story of mine in book form, sold in stores. At least if that never happens I have my online sim stories that people read.

    I too wish more people would comment on my story. I would love to sit back and watch people talk about it. At least people are reading it.

    Thank you Lama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the unfortunate adult/teen height difference! Nice work on incorporating that, though. These two are quite cute. :)

    ReplyDelete