Friday, May 18, 2012

Chapter 7 Why?

  "Shamus!"  Kenneth greeted him in his jolly way.
  "When it rains it pours.  John came to visit as well.  It's nice of you both."
  "Us menfolk can find something to do."
  "I'm awful busy today Kenneth.  Maggie is busy with her gardening.  That just leaves -"
  "Me!"  A little voice piped up.  Shamus slipped away.
  Kenneth spied a little red head.  He gazed down.
  "So you and I will be the old men talking in the corner."
  "I haven't done nuthin.  I ain't goin' in ta no corner mister."
  "Mister?  You can call me Kenneth."
  "An' ye kin call me William."  Then he used a loud boy whisper to tell him, "'Cuz that's me name."
  "Well William, I just walked a lady home."
  "A lady!  I don't wanna hear 'bout no lady."
  "She isn't just any lady.  She's a gypsy lady."
  Having raised 2 boys, Kenneth knew what boys liked and gypsies was one of them.
  William looked past Kenneth to the gypsy camp.
  "Well...gypsies ain't ladies anyways."
  "William, all womenfolk are ladies."
  "Even gypsies?"
  "Even gypsies."
  "And peasants?"
  "That's right William.  Your Mama is a lady too."
  William smiled.  Then he stopped smiling.
  "If you don't believe me you can ask your papa."
  "I don't need to ask.  I believe ye."
  "Then what is it William?"
  "Pappy say it ain't nice to talk 'bout."
  "About ladies?"
  "No...about...I cain't say it.  Pappy will whoop me good."
  "You want to ask though."
  William nodded.
  "Tell you what.  You ask me respectful like and I'll not tell your Pappy."
  William motioned with his hands.  Kenneth leaned down.
  Using his too loud childish whisper he asked, "Even the ones that entertain the menfolk?"
  Kenneth's eyes went wide.
  "How do you know about them?"
  "I jess' know."
  Kenneth didn't know what to say.  Then it came to him.
  "They're ladies of the night."
  William scratched his head.  Kenneth wished it was wiggling bugs instead of wiggling thoughts.
  "Why are they called ladies of the night?"
  Oh no!  Think fast Kenneth!
  "Because sometimes they're up all night."
  "Why?"
  "Well...they sleep during the day some I expect..."
  "Why?"
  "More of the menfolk want to be entertained during the night."
  "Why?"
  "Most of them work during the day."
  "Oh."
  Phew.
   Kenneth glanced over at John Farmer.  He was certain that he'd just told Maggie Malone everything he knew about tomatoes in a louder voice than the quiet man was accustomed too.  He'd have to thank John later for that.  She hadn't looked up so he wasn't worried about her having overheard.
  "Thanks for 'splaining to me 'bout ladies Kenneth."
  Maggie stood quickly.  For a moment Kenneth was worried.  But she skittered away to the other side of the house.
  Maggie ran to the far side of the outhouse just in time.  She laughed and laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment