Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chapter 48 Esmerelda's Visitor

  Geoffrey was beat.  He walked good and slow to the shack he called home.  He sighed.  He had thought by the end of his duty as reeve he would have been better off.  At least his heir was in college that was something.
  Geoffrey could hear his wife inside.  Was she talking to herself in her old age?  A few steps closer and he could hear a response - a male response.  Geoffrey felt anger surge in his chest.  He walked more quickly.
  "I am jest so glad ye came to see me!"
  Geoffrey stopped in his tracks.  Esmerelda....she's been having a man visit her?  By her own choice?
  A male voice he didn't recognize murmured something.
  Suddenly the door flew open and the man ran straight into him.

  "Pap!"
  "Francis...I didn't recognize ye...or yer voice.  My son, how ye have grown."
  "It's so good to see ye pap."
  "Come in son and tell me what brings ye home at this hour."
  He hoped Francis had not been dismissed from the castle.
  Geoffrey gave Esmerelda an extra good hug, right in front of his son.  No doubt she thought it was due to the maternal tears in her eyes.  Really he was overly thankful that her male visitor was his son and not what he was thinking.  As she nestled her gray head in his shoulder he felt the fool for doubting her.  At last he turned his attention back to Francis.
  "Ye have grown into a fine young man Francis."
  "Thank ye pap."
  "Are ye hear fer a visit?"
  "Well...that ain't all I am here for pap."
  Oh no.  At least he is not me heir.
  "King Lovejoy has an offer fer ye, and I asked fer the honor of delivering it to ye meself."
  "Oh?"
  "If ye wish to send me to college he will pay for it, and forgive ye and me the debt for it.  He says our family will be debt free!  But in doing so he will ask something of ye and ma."
  "Well?  What is it son?"
  "Now keep in mind pap, ye do not need to.  I am happy to work at the castle if ye wish...ye and ma deserve a good rest."
  "Francis, tell." Geoffrey said using his father voice.
  "He wants ye to be Sir Robert's squire."
  "Squire?  At my age?"
  "Ye aren't so much older than Sir Robert."
  "There has to be more than that."
  "There is...but I wasn't asked to say, so keep it to yerself.  He doesn't rightly trust Sir Robert or his wife.  He wants someone he trusts to keep an eye on his only knight.  But what he said to say is that he wants a wizened man to be learning the ways of knighthood."
  "Well that is great news," Esmerelda said warmly.  "I do hope ye will say yes."
  "Ma there is more.  Ye are both to move in to the Roberts home."
  This was right common for young squires and pages, but not for married men.
  "Francis this is a fine offer.  I have seen Sir Roberts new place.  It's a fine stone house.  We accept."
  "I was hoping ye would say so!"
  The 3 danced about the small room.  With happy faces all around Francis announced he must get back to the castle.
  "I need to be giving yer reply and packing for college!"  Francis sobered up.  "Ye are sure this is what ye want?"
  "Are ye joking son?  This is better than I could have hoped for."  The grin returned.
  "If ye know anyone, ye can bring a page with ye."
  "As a matter of fact, I do know a young boy I'd like for a page."
  A smile spread on Geoffrey's face, happy for the chance to give a future to a certain young boy.

2 comments:

  1. I thought I ought to comment after lurking & enjoying the story for so long ;).

    One thing that struck me reading this post is how much I love that education/college seems to be a favorite way to rise up in society. It's such a nice (and true) notion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are enjoying the story.

    In Rosewood not going to college is like being that much closer to being a peasant. Sadly, getting a head start on a career and learning are secondary to ranking in the kingdom.

    ReplyDelete