Monday, October 22, 2012

Chapter 49 Fraternity

  When Lord Alexander Lionheart first arrived at college he sought out a fraternity to join.  There wasn't one.  When the plague was at it's worst the colleges had closed down.  The fraternities had never been reestablished.  What is a nobleman to do?  Alexander made a bold move.  He petitioned to begin one.
  This of course is a prince's task.  A nobleman has no business starting a fraternity.  But there is no prince at college currently.  There isn't a prince back in Rosewood either.
  The boldness paid off.  In a moment of greatness Lord Alexander became a fraternity founder.
  Alexander chose his brother as his first "brother".  The big fraternity house for just the 2 of them was a fine luxury.  They hired servants to maintain it, but the place was so big it needed some extra help.  This of course falls to the lowest brother - his own.  At first watching Lord Henry work about the place was amusing.  But after a time it ceased to be.  No fraternity brother is meant to do pledge work that long.  But who is to join them?  Someone low enough to do grunt work, but still worthy of joining a fraternity.  An idea had finally struck him.  He needed a merchant.  The best choice would be Henry Frell, the previous reeve's heir, and today, Alexander meant to invite him to pledge.
***
   Henry's stomach growled.   He went downstairs and grabbed something from the night before.  He brought it outside and ate it in the fresh air.  He had hardly tasted it, he had scarfed it down so fast.  Henry sat a moment soaking up the sun.
  "Frell?  Henry Frell?"
  "Lord Alexander Lionheart, I am Henry Frell."  Henry began to rise.
  "No need to rise."
  "Is everything all right m'lord?"
  "Why, it is more than all right."
  "Henry Frell I would like to invite you to join my fraternity."
  "Me?"
  "Yes."
  "That is a generous offer."
  "It most certainly is."
  "I don't want to leave my brother behind...he hasn't been at college long.  I don't suppose this could wait a few weeks?"
  "I didn't want to leave my brother behind either, so I asked him to join.  Care to have your brother pledge with you?"
  "That would be wonderful m'lord."
  Lord Alexander gave his nobleman smile then walked briskly away.
  A few minutes later Francis came back from class.  Henry caught up with his brother.
  "Francis, guess where we've been invited?"
  "The library?"
  "A fraternity."
  Francis's eyes lit up.
  "A fraternity!"
  "Shhh."
  "Is it a secret?"
  "I just don't want an audience when we pledge."
  "Don't worry about that Henry."
  "Don't mind the humiliation?"
  "I've heard around campus."
  "What?"
  "Youngest brother does the work, that would be me."
  "Oh."
  "Don't worry about me Henry.  I'm just glad we're in.  At least we don't have to streak to get in."
  "What is that?"
  "I thought you were here longer than me.  Streaking is running around naked.  In public."
  "That is just crazy talk Francis.  No one would do that."

1 comment:

  1. I had to giggle at the last few lines. Seems they didn't know Alexander as a kid... XD

    ReplyDelete