Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chapter 50 Nobleman in a Peasant's Shoes

  Lord Richard Lionheart had worked long and hard to coax crops from the ground.
  Now he knows how it is for the peasants.

  He thought he would mind it more than he did.  It sent him deep in memory, of his wife seeing over the garden when they were newlyweds.  It made him feel closer to her.  So he spent more time with the plants.  After a time he didn't mind carrying the water himself.
  At least this kept his mind busy.  He spent most of his free time that first growing season tending to his plants.
  It paid off.
  And this brought him to today.  Someone would be by to collect his taxes today.
  Richard placed his finest fruits and vegetables in white box.  He tied a red ribbon around it.  It is a Rosewood tradition.  The idea is that using a red ribbon makes paying taxes and rents less miserable.  As Richard put away the ribbon he questioned this.  Would not the poor peasants rather put the red ribbon in their eldest daughter's hair?  Surely it is the finest thing they own - and it to must be given in payment.  It struck him that this had never occurred to him before.
  A soft knock reached his ears.  Richard smiled.  He had always liked the Frells.  It was not one of the Frells.
  "Good Evening Princess Ann," Richard said softly.  He bowed.
  Princess Ann glowed with the attention.  She curtsied prettily.
  "Rise Lord Richard."
  "Are you collecting the taxes today Your Majesty?"
  "Yes, with my fath- King.  Here he is."
  King Lovejoy stepped out from the shadows.
  "Welcome your Majesties," Richard said, bowing again.  "Please, come in from this cool evening."
  The two stepped into the humble shack in grand fashion.
  "Might I offer you some ale King Leon?"
  "Thank you Lord Richard."
  "I will have what my father the King is having."
  "Young princesses do not drink ale," King Leon said sternly.  "A princess does not interrupt the conversation of a king."
  Princess Ann shrank.  Lord Richard pitied her.  She may be a princess, but she is still a little girl.
  Lady Yarrow would have liked a little girl, he thought wistfully.
  "Might a princess have a wee snack?" Richard asked.
  This time Princess Ann's eyes turned to her father.
  "If she wishes," King Leon answered.
  "Do you wish it Princess?" Richard asked.
  He was rewarded with a royal smile blooming on her little face.  She curtsied.
  "Yes most loyal subject."
  Richard smiled, finding her a charming little girl.  He handed her a sack of thinly sliced fried potatoes.  She took the sack daintily and settled on the cushioned bench.
  "I was expecting one of the Frell boys this year.  Here, my finest fruits and vegetables."
  King Leon set down his drink.
  He seemed surprised.
  "This is for me?"
  "Yes."
  "What is the occasion?"
  "Taxes..."
  "Oh yes, I forgot."
  "Is that not why you are here?"
  "Yes.  I do not usually collect myself."
  "Do you not usually send the Frells?  Or my own sons when before they went to college?"
  "The Frell boys are in college now as well.  I guess I was caught up in visiting with my little princess."
  "Then please, stay."
  And so they did.  For the first time in a long time Lord Richard felt like the nobleman he is.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you tweaked the game's "Hand out present" ceremony to fit your story. Oh, and they even had crisps back then. So cool!
    I really enjoy your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lama!
    I have a neat mod that changes the presents to look more medieval...but it only recolors the one handed out by Mr. Humble in my game.
    Sometimes my sims give gifts instead of using the Paladin's Wardrobe checkbook to pay taxes. I needed some way to explain it away. I do love doing that.
    I was thinking about what would be in that snack bag. I thought that given his state of $ Richard wouldn't have the $ to buy sugar for cookies. I suppose I could have made up a snack...but somehow fried potatoes sounds like peasant food, maybe something newly discovered by this poor nobleman.

    ReplyDelete