Saturday, November 3, 2012

Chapter 54 Lord Henry Divulges

  "Francis, I'm going to see what are other 'brothers' are up to, care to join me?"
  "No thank you Henry, I'm busy."

  Henry decided not to bother him.  Maybe he was grieving Clover Sanders and didn't want to say so.  At least he isn't taking it as hard as when her sister died.
  That Goldilocks, she was something special.  I was so mad when Francis tried to win her over.  I saw her first, and I'm the heir.  Then she died....it hurt, and it was such a shame.  But Francis?  I heard him crying at night when he thought everyone was asleep.  I just couldn't stay mad at him after that.  At least this is different.  Clover was promised to that peasant, the Morse's son.  She used to tag along with her sister a lot...but neither of us were very close to her.
  Well, he thought as he searched downstairs for the Lionhearts, Francis and I can count ourselves lucky.  We still have our papa and mama - and no brothers and sisters buried.
  Henry paused before heading upstairs.  He imagined he'd never get used to the luxury of the place.  Only Lovejoy Castle compared.
  "Henry, come join us.  We have to sit on the floor as much as possible.  In a few short years we'll be back in Rosewood for good.  Then we'll have to pretend to be civilized."
  Alexander said this so seriously.  Henry wasn't certain if he should be laughing or saying something serious in return...and serious funny or dead serious?  He casually sat down and addressed Lord Henry instead.
  "How was your visit to the king?"
  "Life changing."
  "Oh?"  Lord Alexander asked.
  "You wouldn't understand."
  Alexander shifted his eyes to the only merchant in the room.
  "Neither of you would understand."
  "What, will you beheaded next Tuesday?"  Alexander asked in a bored tone.
  "You aren't....are you?" Henry asked timidly.
  "Are all Henrys this dramatic?"
  Both Henrys turned to Alexander, then looked away.
  "He made me an offer I couldn't refuse."
  "King Leon..." the frat brothers waited, and then Lord Henry continued.  "Well, first Francis and I played cards with him, just the 3 of us.  We were all having a fine time.  Then King Leon asked Francis to have some leisure time elsewhere because he wanted to talk business with me."
  "Why was he talking business with you?  Doesn't he know that I am heir?"
  "I wondered the same thing."
  "He starts off saying that what he is about to say is usually between fathers, but that he sees me as a very good friend."
  "Just what makes you the golden child, little brother?"
  "You know Alexander.  It was that day I tutored one of the princesses.  He wanted to pal around with me after that.  I suppose it's lonely being king....and who was I to protest?  I mean, first of all, he is my king.  And second I was hoping that if the king kept asking me to play pool with him he wouldn't ask me to deal with the princesses."
  Neither man replied to this.  Lord Henry was the only of them to spend he time with the princesses.
  "What he asked of me...it's awful, just awful."
  "Stable boy?"
  "Executioner?"
  "Those a man can do and then move on to other things if his king allows.  This is a life sentence."
  "What did you do Henry?" his brother teased.
  "Accepted.  To turn him down would be an insult.  I am doomed."
  "Doomed to what?"
  "I have to marry a princess."
  "Is that all?" Henry asked.  "I wouldn't mind marrying a princess.  Which one?"
  "Does it matter?  King Leon wants me to marry one of his little princesses.  In return I get a title of some kind."
  "The man offers you his daughter and you demand a title?  I'll be bowing to my little brother." 
  "Alexander he will likely just make me a knight or something.  He didn't want to say until the little princess graduates."
  "Why is that?" Henry asked.
  "He doesn't want little lord Henry here taking his title and changing his mind about the princess," Alexander said plainly.
  "I wouldn't do that.  Much as I would like to..."
  "Henry you really set us up with that one.  Even I thought you were miserable.  Enough of this, you are rubbing it in now.  I am the heir and you will be my better.  Then there is the matter of the royal dowry."
  "None of that makes up for having to marry a princess."
  "Are you quite serious?"
  "Alexander I told you that you would not understand.  You didn't have to tutor one of those spoiled princesses.  I would rather marry a peasant woman."
  At this Alexander stood.
  "You make me so mad Henry.  You will be titled, wealthy, and have a princess to impregnate as you please.  What more could you want?"
  Alexander didn't wait for an answer.  He thumped down the stairs instead.
  Henry understood where Alexander was coming from.  He too is an heir.  How would he feel if Francis married above him?
  "Too bad Sir Roberts didn't have a daughter," Francis said in a sigh.
  "What do you mean?"
  "I was to marry his daughter.  It was arranged when I was a little boy."
  "So if he has one now..."
  "His wife is old so my father took back his offer.  Do you have an arranged marriage?"
  "No, papa hasn't made marriage arrangements for either of us.  Why didn't your father make an arrangement for Lord Alexander?"
  "He did...but...well, it was a low marriage.  At first our father said it was better than none.  But then he changed his mind.  Said he didn't know what he was thinking.  Then he turned to Alexander and told him that as heir he should not marry if he has to marry below him."
  "Papa is the same way with me.  That is the way it is with heirs."
  Henry considered a moment.
  "Henry, do you really think being married to a princess would be so bad?  I think you would get used to it...and aren't princesses bred to be proper wives?"
  "Proper yes....but still spoiled as can be.  Imagine a wife who has had every whim granted all her life.  That is what I will be living with the rest of my days."
  Lord Henry put his head in his hands.  Henry Frell gave Henry Lionheart a pat on the shoulder.
  "I'm off to class.  Henry...you have a long time to get used to the idea.  Perhaps it will be a blessing in the end."
  Henry ran off to class shaking his head.
  I wonder what Francis did while all that went on?  Probably pulled out a book and studied the whole time, same as he does here.

1 comment:

  1. Heh. I hope whichever princess Henry marries (I'm going to guess Jean, for all she seems to prefer Francis--she's the one we've seen more of so far, and the one Henry has met that we know of) shows him there's no such thing as a "proper" wife. He's a good kid; it saddens me to think that he might one day marry a woman and expect her to be his cowed, submissive creature who takes his word for scripture. :(

    I can't say I see the logic in arranging matches with children who aren't born and possibly may never be. Informally, sure--an official, speculative sort of deal--but actually signing papers and therefore closing off all other possibilities? If you're the one with the actual living child, it seems at best overly optimistic and short-sighted.

    ReplyDelete