Thursday, November 29, 2012

Chapter 63 Frella's Father

  He stepped out from between the trees.  He watched the gypsy man from a distance.  The gypsy didn't see him, and he did not call out to him.  He did not want to be seen.  It would be best if his family knew not of his daughter, or his daughter of himself or his family.  And yet here he was, watching the gypsy prepare to marry his daughter.
  "Queen Yolanda would ye mind handling the girl, quick like?"
  "Queen Rosamunde what would I be tellin' the girl?  I be but a maid meself.  Who are ye to be orderin' me about anyway?  These may be your gypsies but I be a queen longer than ye.  Who do ye think made me a queen?"
  "You did, and I thank ye fer it.  That girl is more maid than ye.  Just tell her what I told ye.  It will be enough to get 'er by.  I am only tellin' ye to do so 'cause that's 'er father right there.  Unless ye'd rather be busying yerself with 'im. "
  He didn't turn.  Ignoring the gypsy queens he continued to watch the gypsy man.
  "Rosamunde, maybe I would."
  "Married."
  He heard one of the gypsies hurry off, likely Queen Yolanda.  It occurred to him that she was hurrying off to his daughter.  He turned too late.
  "Well?  Come inside."
  He followed Rosamunde into an empty wagon.
  "Ye said she ain't to know who her father be and here ye are on her wedding day.  Did ye change yer mind or are ye trying to make me life difficult?'
  "Neither.  I just want to watch....from a distance.  Please, she is my daughter.  This may be all I ever get to see of her."
  The gypsy queen's eyes softened.
  "Ye know, none of that matters here.  We be gypsies.  Ye ever want to meet her...well, ye know."
  "Thank you Rosamunde.  I think she might suffer more to be held at a distance than to not know me at all."
  "It's a good deal more than most men do for the babes of their whores.  I want to go change me clothes for the weddin'.  I'm wearing red!"
  Queen Rosamunde turned to go.
  "Oh and that's Queen Rosamunde to ye Geoffrey Frell."
  Geoffrey almost smiled.  He was too nervous.
  Geoffrey waited in the wagon for things to begin.
  Perhaps I should have stayed away today....but I simply could not.  Frella is me only girl....  I wonder if her hair is mud brown like mine was, or yellow as wheat like all her brothers.
  Something is different.  I hear it now, a great hush over the camp.  How long has it been so quiet?
  Geoffrey quietly slipped outside.
  Yellow!  Yellow like her brothers.
  Geoffrey snuck closer.
  It pierced his heart clear through that he couldn't walk Frella down the aisle.  As much as he loved all his sons, he felt a pang for never having raised a little girl.  Instead he must settle for watching her be wedded to the man he chose for her.  At least he could give her that much.
  As all cheered on the newly weds Geoffrey could not be sorry for his time at the brothel.  How can a man be sorry for bringing his children into the world?
  He watched for as long as he dared, then turned for the road.
  Just past the wagons he was intercepted.
  "Leaving so soon?"
  "Frella has enough to worry about tonight without me adding to it."
  She stared him down, long and hard.
  At last she stepped aside, without a word.
  Geoffrey walked away.  With great effort, he didn't look back.

1 comment: