Monday, November 19, 2012

Chapter 60 What Ails You?

  Francis had worked hard all week.  He barely spent time with his frat brothers anymore, unless they studied or ate together.  In fact he had felt a little guilty about it.  To make up for it he asked if any of them would like to join him in his trip to Rosewood.  The replies had been scattered.
  "Busy," from Lord Alexander.
  "Again?" from his brother Henry.
  "I am not eager to go back to Rosewood anytime soon," had been Lord Henry's reply.  Then he had walked away muttering "the last thing I need is to visit the castle."
  What was that about?
  I will never understand noblemen.  Why would he avoid the castle when he and the king are the best of friends?  I suppose it is not the same as seeing a princess.  If Lord Henry had a princess to visit he would be at Rosewood every chance he had, same as me.
  He spent the rest of his trip to Rosewood his thoughts turned to Princess Jean.  Her pretty little face, smiling at him!  How is it that he caught her eye?  For it was she who first approached him.  He never would have dared make a pass at a king's daughter.  How innocently she had asked him to dance, only to grab a handful of his backside.  Francis laughed.  How angry he had been.  Suppose the king himself had walked by?  Would he have had his head?  Perhaps.  It was not so very long ago he had kissed her royal forehead outside the castle walls.  It seemed different now.  Why is that?  She is mine now.  That is the difference.  We are not married or betrothed, but she is mine just the same.  I see it in her eyes.
  The castle loomed now before Francis.  He had no trouble getting inside.  Francis had worked in the castle.  He had become a frequent guest.  He was not out of place here.  Now came the tricky part.  Francis could not ask for the princess by name.  He had no doubt that his princess had not taken the time to tell her father she fancied a merchant man.  Francis saw no need to push the knowledge on the man before Jean was ready.  If he was fortunate Jean had spied him through a window and would happen to walk his way soon.  Until then he patiently walked the castle halls, awaiting the pleasant sound of her voice.
  "Francis?" came a meek voice.
  Francis turned.
  "Princess?"
  Princess Jean stood before him, eyes lowered.
  This is not like her.  Not like her at all.
  "Princess, what ails you?"
  Perhaps she is sick.
  She looked up at him.  He had never seen her eyes like that.  Something must be terribly wrong.
  "Please, tell me."
  "I-" she stopped.  She looked so lost.  Then she said quickly, "I attended Lady Margaret's birthing."
  "I thought you wanted to do that."
  Princess Jean ducked her head.
  "Ooh....did the baby not make it?"
  "The baby lives," she said softly.  "A boy, I heard some of the women saying so as I left."
  Francis was puzzled.  If the baby was fine, then why?
  "I could not stay."
  "You wanted to stay longer but could not?"
  "No," she said, her voice braking.  "It was awful."
  Princess Jean began to cry.
  Without a word Francis pulled her close.
  She clung to him, sobbing.
  She cried until her breath came in sharp gasps.
  "Princess" he murmured softly.  "My Princess, you break my heart you cry so."
  And when the gasping ceased she whimpered, "I am so scared."
  Francis squeezed her tightly.
  "She screamed Francis.  The baby came out of her body with blood upon it.  That is what it is to have a baby," she said into his shoulder.
  How is one to comfort a lass when sick to his stomach?
  Jean trembled in his arms.  Francis forgot about his sick stomach.  He rubbed her back until the trembling ceased.
  "I could not possibly do what that woman did."
  "A peasant woman by your age might have a houseful of children by now."
  Her head lifted and she looked at him.
  "No," she breathed.
  "I speak the truth Your Majesty."
  "Do you think you may want babies one day?"
  She grew quite still in his arms, blinking up at him.
  "Yes."
  "Why?  After what I just told you....why?"
  "Because...." Francis felt defeated.  He proceeded anyway with the truth.  "Because I want to bring into this world someone that is a part of me and a part of my wife.  I want - I want to see the both of us in our babies."
  He felt for certain he had lost her with that.  But Francis could no more lie to Princess Jean than he could take away the pain of childbirth.
  She pulled away.
  Francis sighed.  Then he looked up.
  "That is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard."
  Francis beamed.
  "I think maybe I understand now, maybe."
  "Understand what?"
  "Having babies...after what you said..."
  She looked up at him and more tears spilled upon her cheeks.
  Francis pulled her roughly to him, then gently kissed away her tears.  At last she giggled.  It was sweet music to his ears.  He stopped and looked into her eyes.  The sweetness there mesmerized him.  His lips drifted near hers, but he caught himself just in time.
  "I wish to stay longer my Princess..  Alas, I must bid thee farewell."
  "Have you not just arrived?"
  "I came here to see you, but I cannot stay."
  "I miss you when you are away."
  Her soft words melted his heart.
  "Your heart must hear mine calling yours."
  Francis gave her a final kiss upon her forehead.
  He turned then and left.
  He couldn't stay long.  He could never stay long.  Princess Jean was simply too tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment