Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chapter 18 Lord Henry Hears His Father's Side

  Lord Richard didn't go after his son.  Perhaps he had been wrong to shield him as he had.  Or perhaps he had been wrong to let him run off.  But at least he had come back.
  "This is your mother's favorite spot."
  "I know," Henry replied sadly.  "I thought it could use some tending."
  "At this hour?"
  "It's...comforting somehow."
   "Your mother says the same thing."
   "She told me what Alexander did."
  "What they did."
  "Does this sound like anything she would do?"
  Richard shifted uncomfortably.
  "No," he said hoarsely.
  "See?  It's Alexander's fault."  Then he added in a mutter, "No good brother of mine."
  "Alexander is your elder brother."
  "And?"
  "And you should speak of him with respect."
  "He should treat our mother with respect."
  Richard fell silent.
  "Is that what you think Father?  That "they" kissed and he should be respected for it?  Do you respect him for it?"
  "No."  Richard answered in a harsher tone than he intended.  "Right now I am furious with all 4 of us."
  At that one Henry left the plants and looked him full in the face.  Richard didn't know how badly he wanted Henry to look at him until he did.
  "Go on."
  "I am furious with your brother because he treated my wife like his own."
  Something in Henry's face softened.
  "But you're still furious with Mother?"
  Henry's tone was pleading with him, near to begging that it not be so.  How to answer his boy?
  "Yes Henry, I am.  It's an awful lot to ask of a man to witness such an indiscretion and not feel angry with her."
  "But - "
  Richard held up a hand for silence.
  "Did you see her?  Talk to her at that tower?"
  Henry nodded soberly.
  "She isn't the same is she?  It's like she left this world...like she left me.  I am so angry that she would do that.  I know it makes no sense, but there it is."
  Henry had a funny look on his face.  Richard wasn't sure if he brought understanding to his boy or made him cross.  He went on just the same.
  "Henry I am so furious with myself I might never get over it."
  "Why?"
  "I saw them Henry.  I saw the kiss."
  Confusion crossed Henry's face.
  "I saw my Flower's pretty face....didn't even see who the man was.  I....slapped her Henry.  Now I know a man has a right to beat his wife if he sees fit, but I have always believed that is no way to treat a lady.  Now I am certain her face wasn't stinging, but that slap hit her someplace worse."
  Henry went pale.
  "Wh-where-" Henry stammered, "wh-where did that slip hit her?"
  "That slap went right to the very heart of her.  I saw it on her face.  She cried Henry.  I made your mother cry.  Henry, I've never made your mother cry.  Not even when I moved her in here."
  For a moment Henry looked angry.  But when his son's eyes met his the anger fell away.
  "I couldn't defend myself tonight, had to let you beat your old man.  I am angry with you for it, but I also think I deserved it."
  "You don't.  Now that I know what and why - hey!"  Just when he was sound so grown up.  "What do you mean you let me beat you?"
  "You don't really think I'm that old, do you?"
  "Well...I thought I was finally that good."
  "Come inside, I'll teach you a think or 2."
  "Come on, do you really want me to hurt you...again?  Isn't being beaten by your son once enough?"
  "You still think I didn't let you beat me?"
  "Not a chance."
  "Ow!"
  "Better from your Father than a rogue in the street."
  As Richard sparred with his youngest son it was clear things were going to work out between them.  This made another thought stand out in his mind.  He had no idea what to do with Alexander.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least Richard has some shame. I'm with Henry, though; being kissed doesn't mean kissing back, and Henry doesn't owe Alexander his respect just because he's the older brother.

    ReplyDelete