Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chapter 68 Moving On Alone

  Oh.  That isn't right.  No one left now, just me.  This was easier when Winifred did it.  Let's see...rent for one merchant woman...no husband...no children.  Even paying rent is a sad affair.  Oh, and Lord Lionheart lets me take off some for being a widow.

  I'm sure he won't mind me paying tomorrow.  He never does...doesn't charge me for being a little late either.  God bless Lord Lionheart and all of his.  He sure could use it.  Poor man.  We pay - I pay less than a quarter what we paid when Winifred was alive...and both our children.
  I suppose some men in his position would demand I marry.  I remember when he asked...a gentle question of what my plans were.
  Funny, I never planned to marry.  I wanted to work.  And then Winifred came along.  Ahh...Winifred.  Most men stop courting after they wed.  Not Winifred.  He said he wanted to court me until his dying day.  He did....  I didn't miss working...not at all...
  It was more for loss of Winifred than anything else when I told Lord Lionheart I wished to work...and not to marry.  He had such a sad look in his eye.  Then slowly he said he would not want to marry either....and I may do as I wish.  A good man he is.  He must miss his wife, off doing missionary work.  I guess the good Lord called her too, but in a different way.
  I quite stumbled into being a midwife.  The old gypsy woman died.  Someone had to catch the wee ones, now didn't they?  Someone fetched me, knowing I have 2 healthy girls....had...back then I had 2 healthy girls.  Who had been the first mother?  I can't remember now.  I just know it wasn't my best customers...the ladies of the night.
  Poor things.  Underfed, overworked...they lost more babies than they birthed.  And the things they would say when the pain got bad!
  "Damn every man in this kingdom, for what man hasn't passed through that door!"
  Such language!  It made me sad.  I thought....that Winifred....well one day I asked one of them.  I just had to know.
  "Do all the men of the kingdom....truly?"  I could not say it, but she knew.
  "No.  But most o' them do.  And then there is that one.  'Member that one Naomi?"
  "The blond one?  With the long hair?"
  "Yes!  That's the one, with the honey colored shirt."
  They giggled, and I broke inside.  Winifred wore a honey colored shirt....and what other man in Rosewood does?
  "Yes, the round one."
  Oh yes, that was Winifred.
  "He is really something else.  He used to come by every day."
  Every day!
  "He would walk by all slow, and sometimes he'd look at the house."
  "Yes!  Yes!  And then when we tried to get him to come inside-"
  "He'd jest look at the ground and keep on walking."
  "Never did come in."
  "Nope!  Never did, or say a single word."
  "I wonder why he doesn't walk by anymore."
  I didn't say, but I knew.  Winifred had died...  I never could figure why he walked by all the time.
  One thing is for certain, Winifred is the best, most noble man that ever did live.  It's only the clothes he wore that led you to believe he wasn't born a nobleman.  So pure of heart....  I know he cares for my babies now that they are dead and gone too.
  Knock, knock!  Knock, knock!
  Oh my!  Here I am dreaming the day away.  How long has someone been a knockin'?
  Honey rushed to answer.
  "Mother Teresa!"
  "Are you well Widow Sanders?"
  Oh, I must look a mess.
  "Yes.  I was...busy.  I hope I didn't keep you waiting long?"
  "With the Lord I have patience."
  "You always know just what to say."
  Honey picked up the box she had set aside for the convent.
  "You misunderstand...I am here to see how you fair."
  Honey felt a twang of pain.  She knew she meant 'because your husband and children are dead and gone'.
  "Please, I wish to give it."
  "I will be give it to the monastery for you."
  "The monastery?  No.  You know I always tithe to the convent instead."
  "You can just keep it.  It can't be easy now that Clover isn't here to help you."
  "And that means not as many mouths to feed.  I am a Christian woman and I mean to tithe."
  "I'm sorry Widow Sanders.  I didn't mean to hurt you any."
  "No worries."
  Mother Teresa must have sense Honey wished to be alone.
  "Do you need anything before I go?"
  "No, thank you mother."
  "Anything?  Anything at all?"
  "Only time Mother, only time."
  "Bless you child."
  She opened the door for the older woman and watched her leave.
  Well, I imagine the tomatoes need tending.
  Honey checked on the fruit trees, then pulled the bucket up from the well.  She gave the tomatoes a gentle sprinkling.  Just as she was satisfied there were no weeds to be found she thought she heard something.
  It isn't like Winifred to haunt the place during the day.
  "Is that you back there?"
  Honey made toward the road.
  "Esmerelda!"
  "I was starting to think you weren't home.  Let me kiss my best friend on her birthday."
  "You remembered."
  "Of course I remembered."
  "Well?"
  "Well what?"
  "Ye didn't remember I didn't want to hear any 'happy birthday'."
  "That is why it is only us celebrating."
  "Esmerelda!"
  But Esmerelda was already steering Honey inside.
  "It's not like I made anything special."
  "Of course not, it's your birthday.  That's why I made something special for ye."
  Funny how with your best friend the occasional "ye" gets thrown in there.
  "Ye did not.  Not unless your hiding it down the front of your dress!"
  Esmerelda gave a huff, pretending offense.
  "I am a squire's wife now.  I wouldn't do a thing like that.  I snuck it in your kitchen while you were out back."
  Honey laughed despite herself.
  "Now go put on your best dress."
  "I won't do it."
  Esmerelda practically pushed her up the stairs.
  "Now don't come down until your out of that dress!"
  I'll show her.
  "And don't come down naked neither."
  "Esmerelda!  Ye think I'm so coarse in my old age?"
  Honey thumped down the stairs like an errant child.
  "That's not your best dress!"
  "It will have to do."
  "Fine."
  "Esmerelda?  Do you smell smoke?  Is something burning."
  "I've done a bad thing.  I nicked Dame Roberts flour, and a few other things..."
  Esmerelda moved aside.
  "A cake!  With delicate little candles..."
  "Now don't go crying on your birthday."
  Honey gave her a hug, then turned to blow out her candles.
  "Wait!  Not until I sing."
  It is turning out to be a happy birthday after all...except for Esmerelda's singing...

1 comment:

  1. That poor woman has been through so much. I hope she at least gets some satisfaction out of her work as a midwife and can live out her twilight years in relative peace.

    ReplyDelete