Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chapter 70 The Trouble with Besieging a Castle

  "Oh...I spilled that."
  "Don't worry about it Goodwife Frell."
  "Will you hand me the pitcher?  I'll refill it."
  "Already done."
  "You're such a good boy Page Geoff."
  His face didn't turn from his work but a smile crept across his face.  He didn't even mind that the squire's wife didn't acknowledge that he is a man.
  "I'll go downstairs to wet this cloth."
  "I'm finished now."
  Page Geoff turned.  Goodwife Frell looked exhausted, and worried.
  "Are ye sick again?"
  Illness had been running rampant through Sir Samuel's household.
  "I'm...recovering.  This is for Squire Geoffrey.  He is feverish."
  "Let me.  Ye stay here and have a nice warm bath."
  Goodwife Frell looked toward the water, still steaming.
  "I filled it fer Sir Samuel, but he fell asleep in his bed."
  "Do you think he'll wake and be wanting it?"
  "No.  I think it's cool enough now."
  "But Geoffrey..."
  "Let me."
  "He's my husband."
  "He's me squire.  Besides, ye look like ye could use a rest yerself."
  At last she conceded.
  "Wet the cloth and wipe his face.  He's pretty bad.  I'll do it again when I'm done here."
  "Should I sit with him until ye return?"
  "No need."
  Geoff rewet the cloth and left the old woman to her bath.
  Geoff approached his squire's bed.  The old man turned fitfully.
  Careful not to wake him Geoff patted his face with the cloth.
  "Frella," Squire Frell said.
  How does he know about Frella?
  "What about her?"
  Geoff hoped his squire's fever talk would continue.  He doubted the old man knew who he was at the moment.
  He continued to pat his fevered face.  Then he spoke again.
  "Me only girl all grown up."
  Did the squire lose a grown daughter?  He knew he only had 2 sons.
  "Did she get sick?"
  The old man groaned.  Geoff felt guilty for antagonizing the old man.
  "Mebee she" his voice went too soft to hear a moment, "grandkids."
  "Ye have grandkids?"
  "No...maybe Frella give me some."
  Geoff froze.
  "Frella who?"
  "Married Grafton."
  Geoff dropped the cloth.
  "Frella Grafton?  Wot lives in the camp fer..."
  "Gypsies... me little gypsy girl."
  Anger seeped through Geoff like the water filled the cloth.  He left the old man alone in his fevered bed.
  Geoff went to his own room.  In his own room....nearly as big as the little hut he'd grown up in.  How proud he'd been when he had come here as a little boy.  It had been such good fortune  He felt so grown up leaving his mother early.  It was just a shame to leave his sister behind.  His sister by both his mother and his father - Frella.
  Geoff hadn't guessed the old squire was his sire.
  His eyes settled on the wooden castle, the only real toy of his boyhood.  It wasn't even his; it belonged to Sir Samuel and Dame Remembrance.  Childless the knight and dame left it in his care.  His own father never gave him a toy.
  I never played with this castle, so worried about...breaking it!
  He couldn't even tell me.  He never asked Frella to visit here neither.
  Geoff stood there panting over the castle he'd besieged.
  Slowly what he'd done sunk in.  That wooden castle cost more than his whole life.  Sir Samuel would turn him out for sure.
  Geoff crept into bed, cowering under the covers.  He cried for all he had and lost and for what he never had at all.  He fell into a disturbed sleep, convinced this would be his last night in a warm bed.
  Geoff awoke to the smell of soup.  Geoff dressed eagerly.  Goodwife Frell had promised to teach him how to make her soup.
  Soup...oh no!  I slept in.
  As Geoff pulled on his boots.  Looking up he saw the conquered castle in the corner.
  It won't matter that I slept in.  One look at that castle and nothing will matter.  And what of the squire?  Did his fever ever brake?  Did he die in the night?  Me own da...
  Anguish gripped the page's heart.
  Page Geoff slowly walked down the stairs.
  No sign of knight and dame...they must still be sick abed.
  Goodwife Frell sat at the table and...Squire Geoffrey, still in his nightshirt.
  He lives!
  Page Geoff's heart rose - then sank.
  "Come eat.  The good squire lives thanks to your tendin'."
  Page Geoff sat.
  "This will help keep the sickness at bay."
  Goodwife Frell, how I will miss her.  I wonder, does she know?
  "Squire, you know that castle in my room?"
  "Yes?"
  "I broke it...utterly and completely."
  "Geoff, why would you do that?" Goodwife Frell said in a gasp.
  Page Geoff turned to his squire.
  "I had some...news last night."
  "What news was that?" Squire Geoff asked.
  He doesn't know I know?
  "He tended you when your fever was at it's worst."
  Squire Geoffrey smiled kindly.
  "Thank you Geoff.  I might not be here if it weren't for you.  I'm right proud of you."
  Page Geoff felt good and bad all at once.
  "Geoffrey, what about the castle?  What will our knight and dame say?"
  "Now wife, don't fret.  Geoff ye'll fix that castle.  I'll help you if need be."
  Page Geoff looked down at his soup.  The kindness was almost too much.
  He lifted his spoon and ate.
  "I'm so glad your here Geoff," Goodwife Frella said softly.
  Geoff nearly choked.
  Would she be so glad if she knew?  For surely she does not.
  Then he understood.  Who could break this kindly woman's heart?  He decided to keep his da's secret.  For her if not for him.  Though with all his kindness he was making it awfully hard to hate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment