Thursday, December 20, 2012

Chapter 79 Forgetting

  "You wanted to see me Mother Teresa?"
  Honey thought the old nun had simply wanted company.  She thought wrong.

  "I have something for you."
  What could she possibly have for me?  She doesn't mean...
  Isn't that...
  "We have chosen you to take our gift this time."
  Honey imagined what was inside, fruits, vegetables, maybe a little money.  With great care she set it down.
  "Mother Superior, are the tithes not to go first to the clergy, then to impoverished peasants?"
  "We also grow more food than we can eat, provided the crops have done well.  We do eat the good food tithed to us.  As for distribution, the convent always chooses a woman in need, particularly widows."
  Of course, of course...I have quite forgotten...  She has done this before...how could I forget?  That is not all I have forgotten.  Where are my manners?
  "Thank you Mother.  It is a most gracious gift."
  Mother Teresa reached for her hand, then patted it kindly.
  "Is there any more we can do for you?"
  Honey's face flushed.
  "No, thank you much.  I should get home now."
  "Your gift?"
  "I plumb forgot."
  Honey took the box and hobbled home.

No comments:

Post a Comment