Friday, December 14, 2012

Chapter 75 Seeking One Brother

  "Father Patrick?"
  The old monk turned toward Sister Shannon.  He looked uneasy.
  He must feel as uncomfortable around women as I do around men.  I suppose it comes from living without the other.
  "Father Patrick, I have a question for you."
  The good father seemed to pale.
  "A number of years ago a young monk came to the convent.  I've come to inquire of him."
  "Which monk?"
  "I do not know his name.  He said he is my brother."
  "All my monks have the title of brother."
  "I mean, my brother, by blood."
  "What kind of inquiry?" he asked stiffly.
  "I would like to learn his name."
  And to get to know him, but I'll start by asking for his name.
  "I do not know which one.  You had 2 brothers, Joseph and Kelly."
  "Had?"
  "Both have....died," he said faintly.
  "Two brothers?  And they have both died?" she wailed.
  Sister Shannon was thankful that Father Patrick neither shushed her or left her there to cry.  At last she dried the last of her tears.
  "Sister Shannon, let us pray."
  In a voice both gruff and kind, Father Patrick prayed with Sister Shannon.  She would long remember the depth of emotion in this humble prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment