Monday, August 13, 2012

Chapter 39 Bonds of Cheese

  'O God who has forgiven thine humble servant, please grant me peace,' Alexander prayed silently.  He took a slow deep breath as he moved his prayerful hands skyward and slid his foot up to his knee.

  'You who can strike down those who offend thee have mercy upon me,' Lord Alexander breathed out as he knelt upon the floor.  He took some slow even breaths then kicked his feet over his head.
  "Lord?  Are you....well?"
  Alexander ignored the voice of the servant.
  'God bless my life as you have blessed this vessel,' he slowly moved his legs as he took a slow breath.
  'Help me to rise above wrongdoing,' he raised his arm up slowly as he breathed out.
  Alexander could hear a small gasp.
  "Amen." he whispered.  He brought himself slowly upright.
  "Ye were praying my Lord?"
  "Yes."
  "And training?"
  "Mind body and soul in harmony.  In the future please do not disturb me when I pray."
  "I am sorry m'Lord.  I did not know ye were in prayer."
  "You can make it up to me.  Please prepare toasted cheese sandwiches for breakfast."
  "Right away m'Lord."
  Alexander's guest announced his entrance to the room with a rumble of his stomach.  Alexander laughed heartily.
  "Breakfast will be ready soon enough.  I hope you don't mind sandwiches of toasted cheese for breakfast."
  "Toasted cheese?  My favorite."
  "Lord Paul that is my favorite thing about you."
  "Thank you Lord Alexander.  Did you try the prayer with movement I suggested?"
  "I did.  It is just the thing to harmonize mind body and soul."
  "Just as I said.  Mmm....  Do you smell that?"
  "Shall we?"
  The young men thumped down the stairs and dug in.
  "Good morning young nobles.  I see you are eating Alexander's favorite."
  "Lord Paul's as well."
  "No wonder the two of you are getting along so well."
  "Toasted cheese?  Again?" Lord Henry groaned.
  "You wouldn't deny our guest his favorite meal would you Henry?"
  "No I wouldn't," Henry sighed.
  "Come eat upstairs with me Henry," their father called.
  Henry grabbed a sandwich and thumped up the stairs.
  "My family does not appreciate toasted cheese.  I say it is peasant food at it's finest."
  "Indeed.  With food like this perhaps I would not mind being a peasant.  Except I would miss the horses...and the family home...and I look forward to having a large harem one day."
  "Your family must have great wealth to support all those women."
  "There is that too."
  "If I should have a sister she would be among them."
  "And I would treat her well.  Do you have any ladies in line for yourself?"
  Alexander picked up another sandwich for each of them.
  "I almost did.  But the girl was not noble.  In the end father had to turn the offer down.  Can't have that for a first born."
  "First born?  In the Ottoman kingdom noble men have a noble harem.  Unless she comes from a convent, she must be noble or royal.  If I should be so lucky!  As if a royal would settle for a noble."
    Alexander had to wonder, how could his friend treat his sister well, if he should ever have a sister, when they are clearly so different?
  Alexander watched his friend savor his toasted cheese.  His own family did not value this peasant fare as Paul so clearly does.  How is it that we are so alike and yet so different?
  At least we be friends.  For surely a man is kinder to his friend's sister than a stranger's.
  It dawned on him that these thoughts of a would be sister were a hint at what it would be like to have a daughter.  'Tis no wonder men hope for sons!

No comments:

Post a Comment