Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chapter 41 Very Noble Indeed

  "Why hello Lord Henry.  A mighty fine name ye be having.  It's the name of me eldest.  What brings you by me place this fine day?"
  "It's a bit cold for me Reeve Geoffrey.  Surely it will be snowing soon."
  "I think ye be right Lord Henry.  And how is yer family?"
  The young man became quiet.
  "Reeve, I give my services to the King, living in the castle that I might better serve them, as ye well know."
  "Forgive me Lord Henry.  I am so busy cleaning whilst I am there.  I was unaware of yer situation."
  "Forgiven," he replied with a wave of his hand.  "I wanted to give my brother a chance at collegiate studies."
  Reeve Geoffrey knew not what to say.  A nobleman so badly off?  The young man could have passed off his indenture as a noble gesture to the king.  Geoffrey supposed it was...at least a noble gesture to his family.  He had no right to know such things...but perhaps he jest needs an ear.  Perhaps a nobleman's son is not so different from his own sons.
  "That is a right noble thing Lord Henry.  Yer family must be right proud."
  "It is all a waste."
  "Lord?"
  "The king himself sent a carriage to take Lord Alexander to college.  But the carriage driver told my brother that it was mighty fine that Papa is sending him to college despite his debts.  I did not know he was indebted to the king, nor did Alexander.  So he ordered the driver to take him to the castle.  There we both work off Papa's debts."
  Reeve Frell also being guilty of keeping $ troubles from even his sons felt his cheeks burn.
  "I was mighty sore at Alexander for that.  But he told me that I would have been working off the college debt and Papas.  I would have done it too!"
  A defiant pride shown on the Lord's face.
  "I do not doubt it Lord Henry.  And if you were in your brother's shoes?"
  Henry sighed.  "I would have done the same.  I only wish Papa had sent me to work off his debt long ago."
  "Why is that Lord?"
  "With one less man in the house rent would go down.  Between us all the family might have been out of debt long ago."
  Reeve Geoffrey lit up inside, then remembered the younger man before him.
  "Perhaps Lord Richard hoped it would not come to this."
  "Aye."
  The young Lord's eyes cast down for but a moment.
  "Thank you for listening Reeve."
  "Any time Lord."
  A flicker of guilt passed over the young face.
  "I need to collect taxes from you."
  "I have them ready right here."
  Lord Henry counted out the $.  Geoffrey saw this as a sign of good sense.  Then Lord Henry shook his hand.  Reeve Geoffrey smiled.  As a nobleman to a merchant man the gesture was unexpected.  Reeve Geoffrey decided the Lionhearts are very noble indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment