Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapter 42 Geoffrey's Plan

  "Henry as my heir there are certain things ye should know."
  "Such as how to beat me old man at a game of darts?"
  "No.  A very valuable goal my son, but that is not what I was aiming at."
  "I hope ye were aiming at the dartboard.  It would help!  Brr!"  Henry stamped his feet for warmth.  "Who would have guessed we would have snow already?"
  "Lord Henry."
  "Thank ye for the title old man."
  "If ye deserved the title ye wouldn't be calling me old man."
  "Ye find the noble sons more respectable?"
  "Or at least more intelligent.  I am winning ye know."
  "Then ye took me advice!"
  "What advice?"
  "Aim at the dartboard."
  With this comment Reeve Geoffrey missed the board altogether.  Henry chuckled.  Reeve Geoffrey was right glad of it.  Sometimes the boy seemed too serious.  It isn't all about making money, just most of it.
  "Henry," Geoffrey said soberly, "we're near as poor as me last dart throw."
  Henry stared at the board.
  "Do not worry me son!  I have a plan in me old head."
  "Why didn't ye say something before it got so bad?"
  "That is me mistake Henry.  I realize that.  It's why I am speaking with thee now."
  "Thank ye pap."
  "For speaking with ye?"
  "Yes...and for telling ye that ye made a mistake...for treating me like a man."
  "Well ye are a man.  A man I'd like to send away for collegiate studies."
  "Pap!  Ye jest said we're poor.  I knew we were poor...living here and all.  It had to be more than jest living near peasants.  That's why I asked ye not about any of that.  And now ye want me ter go?  I am not throwing me family in the streets ter go."
  "No.  Jest throwing yer own brother in the castle."
  A shocked look crossed Henry's face.
  "Yer letting Francis go to the dungeons for the family debt?"
  "No, no.  We are not in debt.  I am trading the cost of tuition for Francis's hard work."
  "Pap, that's indenture."
  "That is opportunity.  Francis will be living in the castle.  If he does well he will be given finer jobs.  Perhaps he will wait on the king himself!  Who knows what will become of him!  It is almost as good as going to college."
  "Pap, I don't know that it is that good."
  "Henry, it's the only way yer going to college.  Francis is no peasant.  He will learn what royalty likes first hand.  So better to please them if he should open up his own shop some day.  He will know what to sell.  He may pick up on how to approach them - to sell to them in the future."
  "If he ever pays of the indenture."
  "Aye.  But it is far better for both of ye than what ye might do with yerselves otherwise."
  "I am jest surprised ma agreed."
  "Well..." Geoffrey rubbed his neck.
  "Pap, ye didn't tell."
  "Not yet.  I wanted to speak with me heir first."
  "Thank ye pap.  I will try to do ye proud."
  "Ye always do son, ye always do."

No comments:

Post a Comment