Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 40 Wordless Prayer

  Could this be the scroll I've been waiting for?
  Lord Alexander unrolled the scroll with care.
  "Father!  Henry!"

***
  Lord Henry rescued his cider from his brother's flying crumbs.
  Why does he have to be so excited?  It was only last week I was digging through the trash barrel for something we could salvage and sell.
    Alexander knows there isn't money for it.  How could Father send him?
  Then again, how can he not?  Sending Alexander is our family's best chance.
  Henry took a slow sip of cider.
  In a few short bites Alexander finished.  He grinned at Henry like it was Christmas.  As he ran off to do who knows what Henry sighed.  He knew what he had to do.  He set down the cider that now felt heavy in his hand.  He drifted to the window.
  He could just make out the hovel they had spent a winter in.
  Lionhearts have no business living in hovels.  I must do it.  Alexander is heir.  And as for me?  At least I won't be living in a hovel.
***
  "Your Grace."
  Lord Richard lifted the delicate hand to his lips.
  "Is he ready?"
  As answer Henry tumbled out the door.  He bowed deeply.
  "King Leon has arranged everything.  You can send Lord Alexander when you are ready."
  "Thank you Your Grace."  Richard hesitated.  "This is what you want Henry?"
  "There is no other way."
  Richard had no argument for this logic.
  "God be with you my son."
  "And with you Father."
  All too soon Henry left with the queen.
  Richard set himself down and watched them go.  He sat there long after they had gone.
  At last he pried himself up.
  He paced back and forth.  Alexander would be home quite late.  He was working hard to earn his way to the school that had accepted him.  He would never earn himself the $ in time.  They all knew it.  Which is why Henry - no, I won't dwell on that now.  Richard picked up the pests for plants potion.  He may as well make himself useful while he waited.
  How did Yarrow stand this stuff?
  Richard coughed on the foul brew.
  Richard shook his head.  His hair did not rustle quite as it usually did.
  Leaves!  Leave from my very head!  Richard opened his eyes.  Leaves upon my body?  He looked down at his legs.  Just as his wife's.  What had she called it?  Just a little growth.
  Richard rushed inside, planting himself before a mirror.  Indeed, leaves growing from my very head.  I don't remember Yarrow having a head of leaves.  And Alexander will be home any minute!  What shall I tell him?  And with this thought the leaves were replaced by his own hair...like camouflage.  He lifted a cautious hand to his white locks.  They are real.  What magic is this?
  Richard's gaze fell to the bowl of water below him.  A sudden thirst over took him.  He drank deeply.  Oddly he felt as refreshed as if he'd had a fine meal.  He changed out of the leafy garments and into his own.
  A moment later he could hear Alexander's clatter.  Thump, thump up the stairs; a long pause; thump, thump back down.
  "Father?"
  Richard stepped into the kitchen uncertainly.
  He wouldn't even look at him.
  "Is it true?  Has Henry indentured himself to our king?"
  "Yes, he has."
  "I will talk sense into him.  He won't be indenturing himself for my sake."
  "Alexander...it is done."
  "He did this all while I was working?  How could he?  I did not bid him farewell.  Not that I would have.  I would have stopped him."
  "And that is why he waited 'till you would be away."
  "Why didn't you stop him?"
  "Do you think I could have?"
  "No Father," Alexander said quietly.  Suddenly he seemed a small boy.
  A clatter of hooves sounded outside.
  "Is that?"
  "Yes.  Your collegiate life awaits you my son."
  Alexander straightened.
  "I will make you proud Father.  I will make you all proud."
  "My son, we already are."
***
  Richard stood before the cross in the parlor.  He had stood on this very spot when God himself had struck him down.  He had been most humbled that day.  He was ever more humbled today.  His new state of being scarcely entered his mind.  He thought instead of his youngest son sacrificing his future for his brother.  On this day his prayer came not with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment