Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chapter 43 Threatening Tears

  "Our donation Father Patrick.  Ma wrapped up some of the best food from the harvest."
 
   "Francis Frell, it is too much.  Surely your family has a greater need."

  "Father, even the poorest peasant finds something to give.  Do you not think the Reeve's family ought to do the same?"
  "I suppose.  I have hopes of you boys going to college.  Your ma's garden is nearly as good as the monastery's.  It could fetch a fair price."
  "Aye.  A fair price for the church, or food for the hungry, be they monks or otherwise."
  "Pap arranged for one of us to go to college.  I'm sorry Francis.  I wish it could be both of us."
  Francis held the package in midair, caught in surprise.
  "That is great Henry!  Don't ye worry about me.  I am plenty happy for me older brother."
  "Paps plan for ye are different."
  "Henry, whatever the plans are, if it means ye go to college I shall do it.  Now please, take our donation Father.  Me arms are getting sore."
  Esmerelda sat resting her old bones, listening to every word.
  The door creaked open and Henry took off his coat.
  "Ma, I didn't know ye were in here."
  "Henry, is it true?"
  "Is what true ma?"
  "Will ye be going to college?"
  "Yes ma."
  "I am so proud of ye."
  "I did nothing ma.  Francis bears the burden."
  "Yer carriage is here Henry!"  Geoffrey called.
  "And jest when did ye plan to tell yer wife?"
  "I'll make me apologies later.  Francis!  Yer carriage is next.  Come say yer goodbyes to yer ma."
  "Does he know Pap?"
  "Yes Henry.  I jest told 'em."
  "Ye jest told him...oh Pap."
  "I know son.  I thought it, I put it in place, I told ye, and it all is ready sooner than I thought it could be.  Ain't it great!  Now git."
  Henry and Geoffrey both "git", leaving Francis alone with his ma.
  "And what are yer Pap's plans for ye my son."
  "I shall work in the castle."
  "Like yer Pap?"
  "No.  I shall live there and serve my king."
***
  "Pap?  I don't think ma is ready for me and Henry to go."
  "I know Francis.  She wouldn't be ready years from now."
  "Pap, ye should have a word with her."
  "Is me youngest teaching me to comfort me own wife?"
  "Pap..."
  Geoffrey embraced his son.  Unexpectedly his heart pulled.  No sons home for years.  By the time Henry came back from college he and Esmerelda might both be dead and buried.  It was only in this moment he realized this.  He was struck with empathy for his wife.  He now understood the message behind his sons "paps".
  "I will speak with her.  Ye jest worry about ye...and the royal family ye'll be waiting on hand and foot.  Do right by them and they jest might do right by ye...if yer lucky."
  "Pap, even if it is all toil, I shan't be sorry."
  "Yer a good son and a good brother besides."
  As tears threatened in both men's eyes Francis boarded the carriage.
  Geoffrey stood outside waving to his son long after sunset.  He knew he couldn't see him from the castle, but he waved just the same.  At last he went inside.
  Esmerelda was sound asleep.
  No doubt she wept herself to sleep.  Geoffrey sighed.  I have some explaining to do in the morn.  Once she is through being angry she will see, it is the best we could give our sons.
  With these thoughts Geoffrey crawled into bed and was soon asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment