Monday, July 2, 2012

Chapter 24 The Eldest Princess in All the Land

  "But Ann, mother said to practice our music.  She did not say we could skip rope instead."
  "That's Princess Ann.  I will skip rope and you will play the piano.  That will be the music."
  "You have to practice music too Princess Ann."
  "Is that any way to talk to the eldest princess in all the land?"
  Princess Ann straightened her gold crown for emphasis.
  "Is that any way to defy your queen?"
  Princess Ann took great care to not huff.  Princesses do not huff.
  "I will sing while I skip rope.  Now if you will be so kind as to play the piano we shall keep time together."
  "Yes Your Majesty."
  Princess Ann beamed, so please to hear her sister address her that she noticed not the less than honorific tone.
  "Thank you dear sister."
  "Cin-der-ell-a"
  "Princess Jean, why did you stop playing?"
  "I have not heard this one before."
  "I heard some peasants skipping rope to it."
  "Peasants?  Is it a song unfit for ladies' ears?"
  "Of coarse it is.  Why do you think I waited until our most royal parents are busy."
  "What are they busy doing?"
  "Trying to make a prince like always."
  "Oh Ann, is it so?  I want to watch."
  "What?!  You can't watch that."
  "Why not?  Mother and Father say we should observe royal affairs, so long as we are ladylike and silent."
  "This royal affair is none of your affair.  It is private."
  "Of course it is.  But I am a princess."
  Why are little sister such fools?
  "Princess Jean making babies involves kissing and I do not know what all else.  Mother says princesses learn such things close to their weddings and we are not even engaged."
  "Ann!  You said kissing!"
  "Princess Ann.  If you are too young to be hearing the word kissing you are too young to see the deed.  Play for me my sister."
  "Cin-der-ell-a"
  "Dress in yell-a"
  "Went upstairs to kiss a fella"
  "Made a mistake"
  "Princess Ann is that why Mother and Father haven't a prince?"
  "Princess Jean we are never going to finish before them if you keep stopping to ask questions."
  "Please tell me?  Pretty please?"
  "Since you asked so sweetly."
  Princess Ann waited, a tactic she had learned from her royal parents.
  "What I mean is, did mother and father make a mistake kissing?"
  Princess Ann giggled.
  "Well!  Cinderella made a mistake in your song!"
  "I don't think they made this kind of mistake.  Play again and I'll finish the song for you."
  "Went upstairs to kiss a fella"
  "Made a mistake"
  "And kissed a snake"
  "How many doctors did it take?"
  "1-2-3-4-"

No comments:

Post a Comment