Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chapter 32 The Peasant and the Royal

  Ah...there she be.  Is there anything so fine in this world as a woman?
  "Queen Yolanda?"
  See how she turns slowly at my call?  Of all the women I've dated since my late wife Elle, Queen Yolanda Patel is by far my favorite.
  "Kenneth!"
  "Hello."
  "Please, let me buy you a meal."
  "Ye jest ate Kenneth.  Me thinks ye are jest looking to be in the company of a queen."
  "Ye think that of me my sweet?"
  Yolanda smiled demurely.
  "Can ye deny it?"
  "'Tis true, I have eaten a meal.  But I am not seeking a queen's company."
  "Oh?"
  "I am seeking yer company.  Being a queen has not a thing to do with it."
  "Is that not why ye see me Kenneth?  To better yer own position?"
  "Queen Yolanda, I am hurt.  When we met ye weren't a queen.  Ye were jest a gypsy gal.  I had no idea ye'd be a queen one day."
  "Aye.  Neither did I.  'Tisn't the gypsy way."
  "So ye weren't the old Gypsy Queen's kin?"
  "She had no kin.  Not that it would have mattered.  The next queen isn't always kin.  Only if they was close.  A Queen chooses the one she is closest to, unless he is a man."
  "Then ye see?  I can't better my position by gettin' close ter ye.  Kenneth Woods is no queen."
  Yolanda giggled girlishly.
  "Than why did ye want to ask out a gypsy gal?"
  Because you are alluring.  How could I resist?
  "Ye are a beauty Yolanda."
  "I do recall ye had an eye on me as well."
  Kenneth gestured toward a table.  Yolanda gave in and sat down.
  "What shall I get for the two of you this fine day?"
  "I am ready for your finest slice of cake.  And a meal fit for a queen for the-"
  "A salad please."
  "Then the finest salad your tavern has to offer."
  Yolanda is like that.  Queen of the gypsies, deserving of a feast at every meal, and she asks for a meal that costs me little.
  The meal came quickly, impressive despite the food requested.
  "This is good.  But I am envious of that cake.  Is that chocolate?  I have never had chocolate."
  "Than ye must have some of mine."
  For a moment Kenneth was lost on his lady's lips wrapped 'round his fork.
  The waiter came by with a couple goblets.
  Kenneth smiled warmly at Yolanda.  He raised his goblet.
  "To the woman who has my heart."
  Kenneth watched Yolanda over the rim of his goblet.
  How much I love Yolanda.

1 comment: