Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chapter 29 Put Your Heart at Ease

  She seems happy enough.  But is she?  Is she really?  Is she just making the best of things?  Will it be like this for me?  We are both merchant women...but I will not remain that way.  Promised to a fisherman...mama says if papa arranged it he thought it best.  I wish he could tell me why marrying a peasant boy I've never met is best for me.  What am I supposed to make of it?  Will we be impoverished all our lives?  Will we love each other?  If there is one thing I remember of my papa it is how he loved my mama.  I have great doubt I will ever meet a man who loves any woman as much as papa loved mama.  Even as he lay dying he called her to his side, begging her often to lean close that he might kiss her.  Will I ever be loved like that?  Is Esmerelda sorry she married this Reeve?
  Unconsciously Clover Sanders edged closer.

  "I think Clover wishes to speak with me."
  Am I so clearly read?
  "Perhaps she wishes to speak with the Reeve."
  Clover reached for the outstretched hand tentatively.
  "Have you been wronged?  Are you in need of your Reeve."
  Clover felt her face grow warm.
  "I..."
  "Has someone hurt thee?"  His face was full of concern.
  "No Reeve Frell."
  "Leave us Geoffrey.  This is a matter for a woman."
  "How do you know?"
  "A woman can tell."
  Clover felt nervous when the Reeve turned to her with a puzzled look.  She nodded and the Reeve left them be.
  "What is it dear?"
  "Are you happy Esmerelda?"
  "Happy?"
  "Living here?  In this fishing village?"
  Esmerelda gave her a knowing look.
  "Are you not promised to the fish monger's son?"
  Many fished the lands of their lord with the title fish monger, even some of the monks.  The Malones were different.  The Malones had been fish mongers as far back as anyone could remember.  One could hardly speak the Malone name and not think of fish.
  Clover slowly nodded.
  "And you really want to know if you will be a happy wife?"
  Clover couldn't speak.  She managed another nod.
  "I was pretty unhappy when we first moved here."
  Clover felt her face crumple.
  "Now I am happy.  The wife makes the home Clover.  If I had to cry over the cracks in the wall it wasn't in front of my men.  As long as they think this place if fine enough for me, they are pretty happy.  It is hard to be unhappy with 2 sons and a husband that loves me."
  "And if he loves me not?"
  "Find the good things in him and love him best ye can.  It's a cold man that has no affection for a loving wife."
  Very softly she asked, "what if he is a cold man?"
  Esmerelda motioned for her to draw near.
  "If ye marry a bad man ye jest stay out of his way.  Ye do his bidding as quick as ye are able.  Be ye gentle and hope he gentles over time.  Do ye think yer papa arranged a bad match?"
  "I know not."
  "Did he or your family stand to profit from the match?"
  "No, not at all.  William is a peasant boy."
  "Does he stand to rise in rank?"
  "I think not."
  "Did he worry ye would be a childless old maid?"
  Laughter burst forth.
  "No.  I was but a girl when it was all arranged."
  "So why would he choose William Malone fer yer husband?"
  "Mama says he must have thought it best."
  "Clover, what reason could he have?"
  "Shamus was a good friend of his.  But he couldn't jest be pleasin' the man, he is a peasant.  He must have seen good in the man or the son."
  "And that is why you can put your heart at ease."
  Clover smiled good and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment