Friday, July 13, 2012

Chapter 27 May as Well Be Peasants

  "I have arranged for us to live in the cottage on the left.  It is the closest to the pond.  Father Patrick will be our fish monger, so we'll have his best fish each day he fishes here.  We can still live among the peasants, but we shall have more shared land."
  Esmerelda didn't find the move quite so rosy.
  The land indeed is good, even if they do have to share it.  But the cottages are small and poorly built.  The boys rooms must be so small.  Indeed, there must be barely room for the bed in their room.  There might not be a sitting room.  She sighed softly.  At least their tapestries would line the walls.  It would bring some cheer.  She knew that Geoffrey had sold some of the furniture, as it would not all fit here.  Perhaps he had replaced some with smaller furniture as well.
  Bark!
  "You are right Rodan!" Geoffrey chuckled.  "Away to school with you my sons.  I am Reeve, but you my sons shall study hard and be greater than your old man."
  Francis shuffled off.  Henry paused.
  "Papa, does not the eldest take after his father?"
  "We are merchants my boy!  You have opportunities.  We have more choices for business than any other class of man in the kingdom.  Even your daughters can go into business until you find a match for them."
  Esmerelda smiled.  Indeed, the merchants had the dream.  Though she much preferred her family over learning a trade.  She had not been sorry to wed.
  "You mean I can be anything?"
  "Quite nearly Henry."
  Henry wandered off forgetting to bid his leave.  He was clearly lost in thought.
  "Come my wife, I will show you where to put your seeds to good use."
  He took her arm as if she were a lady.
  "See the fruit trees here?  We ought to get a good crop from them."
  "I shall do my best Geoffrey."
  He patted her arm gently.
  "You tend the plants just fine.  And see?  See this rich earth here?"
  Geoffrey beamed at her.  She could see why.
  "It is fine earth."
  "Do you have enough seeds?"
  Esmerelda held up a small rough sack.  Geoffrey laughed.
  "I should have known.  Kept them in your hands from the moment we left?"
  "It is my duty."
  "Such a fine wife I have!  I want to see how the fish are drying.  I did some fishing yesterday when I came to make final arrangements."
  "I'll be done by midday and then I have a few things I set aside from the pantry."
  "You don't have the food hidden about your skirts do you love?"
  "And where would I put it?  Never mind, don't answer that.  It's in that wood box you carried over.  You did put it in the shade?"
  "I thought our clothes were in there."
  "Yes, and a bit of meat and some soup."
  "That venison from last night?"
  "Yes.  I thought I could add it to the soup."
  "Oh..."
  Esmerelda smiled.
  "You want the meat on its own, yes?"
  He nodded like her sons.
  "Then I shall have the soup."
  She picked up the hoe nearby and began working the dirt.  She could practically hear the smile in his footsteps.  Funny how a husband can remind one of a small boy.
  Half way into the day Esmerelda left her garden well satisfied with it.  She washed up and went inside.  She gasped.
  "I am sorry.  I know I should have waited for you.  I was so hungry...  I put the last of the soup in a bowl for you," he finished in a hopeful voice.
  Esmerelda couldn't speak.  She picked up the bowl and set it on the unfamiliar table.
  Hungry as she was she sat slowly, letting it all sink in.
  One room.  One room!  They'd all be sleepin', eatin' an' workin' in none but the same room.
  That hole!  Look at it!  We'll freeze!  All manner of small creature can get through that....and judging by the wood upon the floor, something already did.
  "I'll take that for you.  You just set there enjoyin' yer new home."
  Enjoy it she didn't, but set there she did, staring at that hole.  At last she went outside to wash off traces of soup that weren't there.
    Esmerelda wept quietly, that Geoffrey might not know her disappointment.
  Alas!  We may as well be peasants.

No comments:

Post a Comment