Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chapter 33 Congratulations

  "It couldn't happen to a better man."
  "Thank you Martin."
  Kenneth was a little surprised.  Martin was a man who kept to himself.  If anything he thought the man might be put out about him moving with no notice.  Unless he knows not?
  "Will ye be moving then?"
  "Yes.  I shall be moving into the Frell's old house.  The one bestowed upon him when he became reeve."
  Martin smiled.  "Congratulations Reeve Woods."
  Kenneth nodded, a little awed by his new responsibility.
  They left their goodbyes at that.  There was no need to say that he would be moving out immediately.  If one took on new quarters as reeve one did not hesitate.  Especially without kin to consider.  Kenneth pulled on his coat and stepped outside alone.
  It doesn't seem right without Elle.  She always had faith in me.  She knew I could be great.  She was right, look at me now, Reeve...
  After a merchant man was voted reeve I thought that perhaps this peasant title would be forever out of peasant hands.  And now it is in mine.
  It is bitter sweet without me Elle or me son Dale.  Even Chip is at the monastery.  There is but one thing to be done about it.  I'll have Chip and me best girl over.
  Kenneth brightened at this fine idea.  Then he arrived at his new home.
  At first he was most pleased.  A 2 floor house and a barn!  A few fruit trees out front, and a garden on 3 sides of the house!  The garden has clearly been left to grow wild.  But surely with some work I will have a fine crop.  This is wealth beyond what the peasant man had hoped for.  Then he walked inside.
  I see.  It looks like Geoffrey Frell sold or took with him nearly everything in this big house.  'Tis still a fine one, even if I am feeling sorry I left behind my furnishings for Martin to do with as he pleased.
  Kenneth looked in every nook and cranny.
  This place could hold a good size family.  I am getting on in years...but I could start another family...if I choose...

No comments:

Post a Comment