Friday, July 27, 2012

Chapter 34 Honor Me Ma

  There he is.  The young monk shifted uncomfortably.  The gypsy must be waiting for him too.  Perhaps if I tell her she will come back later?
  He turned away...
  ...to address the gypsy.
  "Pa may be awhile."
  "His son?  I am jest so glad to meet ye!  I am his sweetheart."
  "No," he corrected mildly.  "I am Brother Chip Woods, son of Reeve Kenneth Woods."
  "I love yer pa," the gypsy replied sighed softly.
  Poor woman!
  "'Guard Thy Heart' as the Bible says.  My pa's late wife is a good christian woman.  It is best ye not tell him that ye love him so, lest ye be heartbroken."
  "Ye mean....ye..." she faltered, gesturing toward him.
  "He told ye not a word about me?"
  "Nay gypsy woman.  Me pa would not tell his Reeve business to me.  He is a most honorable man.  He would not tell me what ye have done."
  "Done?  I am not here to see yer pa as Reeve, 'cept to give him a kiss for all the good he'll be doin'  Ye see Brother, he has loved me a long time."
  "Ye dare tell lies to a man of the cloth?!"
  The gypsy moved as if to speak.  Brother Chip shushed her with a wave of his hand.
  "I forgive ye.  I must go now and pray."
  Brother Chip turned away even as his pa approached.
  I must wash away this anger away with prayer.  Surely pa would understand.
  I must pray for me pa.  For a Reeve to do his job he must be exposed to more sinners than most.  Praying for pa is the best way I can honor me ma.

1 comment:

  1. Hooo, boy. Sounds like Chip's not necessarily thinking about what he's hearing/reading. It's nice that he wants to honor his mother, but there's nothing wrong with his father finding love again.

    ReplyDelete