Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chapter 28 We Are All Children of God

  Shannon works in the Morse home with Mother Teresa.  'Working for others is good for the soul,' the nun had said.  To Shannon it was all play.  Being the groom for a spoiled cat and dog is only the best job ever.  She would take this over toiling at the convent any day.
  "You are such a pretty kitty."  Shannon listened closely.  She looked over her shoulder.  "I met my brother not so long ago.  I didn't know he was my brother, or that I even had one.  Have you ever met any kittens from your litter?"
  The noble cat stood prim and proper, listening intently.

  Shannon peeped out each window and circled back to the cat.
  "Did you play with the other kittens?  I didn't play with my brother.  I didn't even learn his name."
  Shannon took a shaky breath.  She pet the cat right down to her poor excuse for a tail.
  "I was right sad when I first saw your tail.  Laird Morse found me crying over it.  He 'splained that you were born with a little tail.  He told me it didn't bother you any and that you are right proud of your little tail.  Then he pulled out a little square of cloth and dried my tears himself.  It is a wonder he hasn't a little girl of his own."
  Shannon remembered her duty.  She stood plainly before the proper cat.
  "Come on...." she coaxed.  With full feline grace four paws delicately landed upon the floor.
  "Do you want out?  Yes?"  Shannon let the cat out, then followed suit.
  She found the dog in the barnyard.
  "Slow Boy!  Slow Boy!  I see a stick for you.  I have it.  I have the sick.  Want it?"  She threw the stick, giggling at the dog's funny name.
  "Yap!"
  The little dog nearly fell over himself going after the stick.
  "That's a good boy.  Bring it to me."
  "Rrrrrr"
  "Slow Boy...." she scolded gently.  "I can't throw the stick if you won't give it here."
  Slow Boy eyed her.  He ran across the yard and began digging.  No doubt burying the stick.
  "Again...."
  A feminine giggle reached her ears.  Shannon turned, and concealed a gasp.
  I just couldn't reveal my self like that.  Mother Teresa says to dress in modesty, lest the men be tempted.  Brother Chip is standing right there!  Of course Brother Chip is too decent to stare at Remembrance's immodesty.
  "Have you checked on that dog's bone young 'un?  Shall I walk in with you and help?"
  Shannon looked at Brother Gargamel's fat belly, raising her eyes to his bulbous nose and balding head.  She didn't want to go anywhere with the creepy monk.
  "Mother Teresa says not to lean on others to get your work done.  Thank you for your offer Brother."
  She walked swiftly past Laird and Lady Morse.
  She went back inside to see about Slow Boy's bone, but there was already one there.  She turned to go outside, but saw Brother Gargamel headed her way.  She was about to go out the front door but remembered that Brother Gargamel tends the swans and the pond is in front.  She skittered quickly up the ladder.
  I can just go down the other ladder that goes straight to the ground outside.
  But on the way to the ladder was a glorious bed.  At first Shannon only stared.  Tentatively she ran her hand over the rich red covers.
  So soft!  I wonder if the wood over the bed is as smooth as it looks.  I can't reach the top from here.  I'll just have to stand on the bed for a moment.  I still can't reach.  I can stand on toe!  Oh my, this bed is bouncy.  This is nothing like the beds at the convent!
  Shannon jumped and laughed and whooped.
  "Need I tell you where you err child?"
  Shannon stopped jumping.
  "Please forgive me mother."
  "'Tis the Lord's forgiveness you should be asking for."
  "Yes Mother."
  "Come child, we shall go back to the convent now."
  Shannon followed humbly.
  She walked past the good Morse's in utter shame.

  She felt her cheeks grow hot.  She walked as quietly as she could, and shut the door softly behind her.
  She walked swiftly 'round the pond and the Morse's fish monger Shamus.
  As she caught up the nun gave her the barest hint of a smile.  Shannon reached out her little hand and the nun grasped it gently.
  "Will the Lord forgive me Mother?"
  "The Lord will always forgive his children."
  "And when I am grown?"
  "From young to old, rich to poor, feeble to strong, we are all children of God."
  Little Shannon's heart warmed.  She happily prayed in silence as she walked alongside the caring nun.

No comments:

Post a Comment